Pages

Tuesday, 6 July 2010

No one told Michael what UUP policy was

Michael McGimpsey claimed today that not ring fencing health spending here was a 'political' decision:

"I think it's political. The DUP before the assembly elections said the health budget should rise 20%.  Immediately they get elected and I'm the minister they're arguing there should be no rises,"

However according to David McNarry, this is actually UUP policy: 

"No department can escape painful reductions in their capacity to spend. Not even those more deserving than others in laying claim to ring fencing"

Perhaps Michael should take his own advice:

"I think that's gross hypocrisy and I think the people here deserve a wee bit of honesty."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Health Minister's comparison with the rest of the UK is misleading. In Northern Ireland the Health budget includes a lot more than just doctors and hospitals e.g. social services, after schools clubs, fire service, and as a result comprises 48% on the NI budget. In GB health means health and only represents something like 27% of the budget, which is much easier to ringfence.